Every sunrise is something unique and unexpected. On the morning of June 6th, the dawn began with a bold, electrifying blue, then softened into a cool, aqua blue and slowly transformed into orange rays of sunlight pushing its way beyond the horizon. In Florida, we do A LOT of sunset weddings. Sunset is romantic, but on the East Coast of Florida it’s the sun rising over the horizon at the beach that is the most beautiful time of the day. After Saturday’s beautiful wedding ceremony at sunrise I’m really hoping that more couples will choose this setting. It was absolutely stunning and so peaceful and intimate!

Janessa & Johnny held their wedding at One Ocean Resort in Atlantic Beach. One Ocean is the former Sea Turtle Inn, completely remodeled with a very swanky, contemporary look. Following the ceremony, Janessa & Johnny joined their guests on the verandina for their brunch reception. It was a heartfelt celebration full of laughter and tears. Watching them dance together, everyone can see how much in love they are with one another. I wasn’t able to fight off the tears during their first dance when Janessa wiped both her and Johnny’s tears away. The morning ended with everyone packing the dance floor and it was hard to resist jumping in there and dancing, too (especially when they played my favorite workout jam, “Get Me Bodied” by Beyonce, TWICE).

We wish Janessa & Johnny all the best! There is no doubt they will have a strong marriage with a foundation of faith and love!

We had fun using this tunnel for some photos. First we played with some off-camera lighting, but being the naturalist that I am I decided to then just use ambient light with a little backlighting.

7 Responses to “Janessa & Johnny | Sunrise Wedding at One Ocean Resort | Jacksonville Wedding Photographer”

1. Christy Lynn says:

Oh I love these! A sunrise wedding is so unusual. The shot with the flare between them is absolutely awesome! You did a fantastic job with these.

2. Lenara Funk says:

Beautiful wedding! I loved this idea of sunrise wedding! You did a fabulous job Gwen. I love the pics in the "tunnel"

3. Erica Kree says:

OMG Gwen! These are beautiful images. The lighting is sooo yummy & you did a fabulous fabulous job!!!

4. Gwendolyn Tundermann Photography says:

Thanks everyone! I would do a sunrise wedding again without blinking. I was at the hotel at 5am and couldn't even get Starbucks yet. LOL! The lighting is a constant challenge but it was unlike any wedding I had done before. Soooooo quiet and lovely!

And One Ocean is a stunning hotel! My only regret is that with getting there at 5am and the wedding at 6am there wasn't any light in the oceanfront room while the bride was getting ready. I would have loved to play with some light from the window and also to have more time to do some shots around the hotel. After a sunrise ceremony, the guests are ready to eat breakfast! So it was quick.

I will definitely be shooting there again! There's so much possibility there!

5. Matt says:

Good thing you have me along to fetch Starbucks once they opened.

Once that sun started peaking up, the light was gorgeous. The beach was so dark when we first arrived.

They were a really cute couple and I really liked the dancers they had. Added something to an already unique wedding.

6. Melanie Watson says:

Beautiful work you guys! Such a lovely couple and One Ocean is an incredible venue. Bravo to you guys for being up so early! :)

7. […] the original post about their wedding. Now see the rest of the story in their slideshow! The beach and the beautiful tropical wedding […]